Anxiety disorders: Everyone feels anxious now and then (anxiety symptoms). It’s a normal emotion. For example, you may feel nervous when faced with a problem at work (social anxiety) before taking a test, or before making an important decision.
Anxiety disorders are different, though. (anxiety disorders) They are a group of mental illnesses, and the distress they cause can keep (types of anxiety disorders) you from carrying on with your life normally.
For people who have one, worry and fear are constant and (anxiety disorders explained) overwhelming, and can be disabling. But with treatment, many people can manage those feelings (four types of anxiety disorders) and get back to a fulfilling life.
Anxiety Disorders: Treatment Types Causes Symptoms
Types of Anxiety Disorders
Anxiety disorder is an umbrella term (Types of Disorders) that includes different conditions:
- Panic disorder. You feel the terror that strikes at random. (four types of anxiety disorders) During a panic attack, you may also sweat, have chest pain, and feel palpitations. Sometimes you may feel like you’re choking or (anxiety disorders explained) having a heart attack.
- Social anxiety disorder. Also called social phobia, this is when you feel overwhelming worry anxiety disorder (disease or medical condition) and self-consciousness about everyday social situations. You fixate about others judging you or on being (social anxiety disorder) embarrassed or ridiculed.
- Specific phobias. You feel intense fear of a specific object or situation, (panic disorder) such as heights or flying. The fear goes beyond what’s appropriate and (anxiety symptoms) may cause you to avoid ordinary situations.
Generalized anxiety disorder. You feel excessive, unrealistic worry and (generalized anxiety disorder tension) with little or no reason.
Anxiety Disorders Symptoms
All anxiety disorders Symptoms share some general symptoms:
- Heart palpitations
- Dry mouth
- Tense muscles
- Panic, fear, and uneasiness
- Sleep problems
- Not being able to stay calm and still
- Cold, sweaty, numb or tingling hands or feet
- Shortness of breath
Anxiety disorders Causes
Researchers don’t know exactly what brings on anxiety disorders anxiety symptoms and causes. Like other forms of mental illness, they stem from a combination of things, including changes in your brain and environmental stress, (anxiety disorder Causes) and even your genes. The disorders can run in families and could be linked to faulty circuits in the brain that controls fear and other emotions (anxiety disorder).
Anxiety disorders Treatments
Most people with the condition try one or more of these therapies (Anxiety disorders Treatments):
- Medication: Many antidepressants can work for anxiety disorders. (disease or medical condition) They include escitalopram (Lexapro) and fluoxetine. Certain anticonvulsant medicines and (anxiety disorders) low-dose antipsychotic drugs can be added to help make other treatments work better. Anxiolytics are also drugs that help lower anxiety. Examples are alprazolam (generalized anxiety disorders) and clonazepam (Klonopin). They’re prescribed for social or (panic disorder) as well as for panic attacks.
- Psychotherapy: This is a type of counseling that addresses the emotional response to (types of anxiety disorders) mental illness. A mental health specialist helps you by talking about how to understand and deal with your anxiety disorders.