5 foods that improve digestion
Fruits good for digestion: Although some factors are out of our control and many diseases are inherited, good nutrition can help improve and speed up digestion to reduce the risk of developing problems. Discover five foods that can improve your digestion.
In Canada, digestive problems are very common. According to the Canadian Digestive Health Foundation, 10% of all hospital visits are related to this type of problem, and approximately 30,000 people die each year due to digestive disorders. The Canadian Digestive Health Foundation also estimates that 20 million Canadians suffer from digestive system problems.
1. Whole grains
Whole grains are an excellent source of fiber.
- Eating high fiber foods can prevent heart disease, maintain blood sugar levels, lower cholesterol and more.
- Fiber also facilitates intestinal evacuation, improves the functioning of your digestive system and reduces the risk of colon cancer. Whole grains like oats, wheat, barley, and brown rice are great options.
- Several types of breakfast cereals also contain whole grains – check the packaging to make sure.
2. Leafy vegetables
Rich in vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber, green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, cabbage, and broccoli help the digestive system and can reduce the risk of cancer cells growing in the stomach.
- Green leafy vegetables help your digestive system function optimally.
3. Protein-rich foods
Considered as macronutrients, proteins are the bedrock of the body. They are part of every cell in your body and are essential for both hair growth and muscle building. They also help keep the digestive system running in the right place.
- Healthy, protein-rich foods like eggs, fish, and nuts make you feel fuller faster by slowing the digestive system and allowing nutrients to be absorbed.
- The solution is to consume the right amount of protein according to your age, your height, and your sex and to limit your consumption of proteins of animal origin
- Yogurt is a superfood that can be beneficial to various body functions, from neurodevelopment to calcium absorption.
- Yogurt also contains good bacteria that, consumed daily, line the intestinal walls and prevent toxins from infiltrating your bloodstream. Thus, you help your body get rid of toxins much faster, which decreases the risk of bowel infection and colon problems while strengthening your immune system.
5. Citrus fruits
Not only are lemons, oranges, limes, grapefruit and other citrus fruits tasty, but they also offer many health benefits.
- According to the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, citrus fruits help prevent the development of stomach cancer.
- In addition, citrus fruits relieve bloating and gas and allow your digestive system to work more efficiently.
Improving digestion requires a healthy diet that includes these five types of foods. In addition, meeting a regular meal schedule, drinking plenty of water, and choosing high-quality foods can make your digestive system more efficient.