Although a ketogenic diet is really effective in weight loss, it is important to discuss with an expert about its suitability for you.
The ketogenic diet became popular around the world due to its incredible benefits of dropping weight quickly. This diet has been around for more than 30 years, but its popularity is only booming now, as its effectiveness has been proven.
This diet represents a diet that completely reduces or eliminates carbohydrates, which forces the body to ketosis, a metabolic state that uses fat as the main source of energy. By increasing the ketone content, the weight decreases in an incredible way and in a shorter time than a traditional diet.
Initially, this treatment was recommended for patients with epilepsy. Today it is one of the most popular diets for people who want to lose weight.
However, due to its limitations, it is not suitable for everyone. It should be followed very carefully and only for a few days.
Where does this diet consist of and how do you follow it safely? What are its benefits? In this article, we will go into the details that answer these questions.
What is a ketogenic diet and what are its benefits?
A ketogenic diet is a diet that increases the consumption of proteins and healthy fats. It reduces the
Ketoosis is a metabolic state where ketone levels increase and cause rapid weight loss. When the body is deprived of carbohydrates, the body naturally takes its energy from fat.
When fat stores are used (obtained from carbohydrates), the consumption of fatty acids increases. During this process, the amount of ketones increases. The ketogenic diet gets its name from this.
Benefits of a Ketogenic Diet
The main benefit of a ketogenic diet is weight loss. The difference with other diets is that the results are faster and more significant.
- The use of animal fat is restricted and the number of sources of healthy fats is increased.
- The release of ketones results in lower appetite, which tends to lower calorie consumption. So food lust cannot be born.
- Last but not least, weight loss consists of fat. Due to the protein content of this diet, muscle mass remains intact.
Compliance with a ketogenic diet
Compliance with a ketogenic diet means removing or reducing foods rich in glucose or carbohydrates . At the same time, it means adding protein and fatty foods.
It includes the following dishes:
- Chicken, turkey and sheep
- Fish or Sea Life
- vegetable oils
- Dried fruits and seeds (in small portions)
- Fruits & Vegetables (only in some cases, in small portions)
Forbidden foods include:
- Grains and sugar
- Sauces and salad dressings
- Full Dairy
- Cereals and legumes
- Sweet fruits
disadvantages of a ketogenic diet
The ketogenic diet creates a disagreement that also occurs in other restrictive diets. While others consider it appropriate and effective, others point out its possible side effects.
- The percentage of carbohydrates is much lower than recommended for a healthy diet.
- In addition, the sources of vitamins and minerals are reduced, which can cause nutritional deficiencies and endanger the body.
- This diet reduces the number of fibers that can cause digestive problems and constipation.
- It can overload the liver, so it is not healthy for people suffering from fatty liver or heart problems.
- Increased ketone levels can cause bad breath, so it is important to maintain good oral hygiene.
- In some cases, it may affect memory and concentration.
- If ketones increase significantly in the blood, it can cause
ketoacidosis, a complication that can damage vital organs.
It is important to first assess a person’s state of health in order to comply with a ketogenic diet, as certain health conditions may increase the risks of this diet.
Although the results are incredible, it is not a good idea to prolong such a diet for 30 days, as it may cause nutritional deficiencies.
If your goal is to drop weight and keep it healthy, adhering to a balanced diet is the right choice for you. This meets all body requirements. Remember to talk to an expert before trying any diet.